Popup Wake-up


Good Sunday morning to everyone! Today is an especially important morning for some, both to remember those lost in 9/11 and for all the football fans out there. I know my boyfriend has set himself up on the couch for the rest of the day with his fantasy football site in constant view. Me, being the wonderful, understanding and caring girlfriend that I, am knew that this activity takes a lot of energy and felt that he would need a good breakfast as he would probably consume nothing other than chips, salsa, and beer for the rest of the day. So for a quick fix that I could make before I had to leave for work I whipped together a quick batch of these popovers that were a perfect, light quick fix. (Although due to my boyfriend's sudden overwhelming desire for dairy products I fear they didn't quite turn out as light and fluffy as I hoped.) I also found this awesome variation from Smitten Kitchen, which is quickly becoming my new favorite food blog. I highly recommend you give this recipe a shot for your next brunch or when you need something other than cereal for breakfast.

Corn, Buttermilk and Chive Popovers
Adapted from The New Basics
From Smitten Kitchen
Makes 6 popovers in a traditional popover pan or in ramekins; will likely make 9 in muffin tins
1 cup buttermilk (or make your own sour milk)
1/2 cup corn kernels (from most of one cob)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
Place buttermilk and corn in a blender together and blend for just 3 seconds — you’re looking to break up the corn a bit, not puree it. Add the eggs, one tablespoon of the melted butter and blend for one second more. Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, a few grinds of black pepper (I used four, not that you asked or that I’d expect a normal person to count) and the chives and blend again until barely combined, some lumps are fine.
Set the batter aside to rest while you preheat your oven to 375 degrees, about 15 minutes. Brush your popover, muffin or ramekin cups with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Fill each cup slightly more than halfway with batter (see top of recipe for cup estimates).
Bake popovers 30 to 35 minutes (see Note above about baking times in a muffin tin). Try not to open the oven door! Crack it just 1-inch to take a peak if absolutely necessary towards the end. Popovers are done when they’re tall and bronzed. Flip popovers out onto cooling rack and let cool for a few minutes before tearing in. Even then, they will be filled with steam and very hot in the middle — be careful. Eat with a great big summery salad on a deck somewhere, please.

On that note, I leave you with hopefully a sense reverence for those lost this day, and this image of awesomeness that will clearly dominate the Steeler's today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment