Black Bottom Bourbon Pecan Pie

Halloween is creeping up. I love it. It means windy days sending colorful leaves flying through the air and the thoughts of holidays to come.

These kind of days make me want to bake, and while this may seem surprising to my readers, I am actually not a big baking person. (I do realize this statement is completely different than the evidence of me posting nothing but baking recipes on here, but I promise it's true.) However, when I do bake, I have one to-go source - the Baked book. Written by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito who started a bakery in Brooklyn, and the inventors of probably some of the most delicious baked goods I've ever had. My two personal favorites? The chipotle cheddar biscuits and the chocolate bourbon pecan pie.
Since my family is a bunch of pansies and can't really tolerate spicy food, it was the pecan pie that made it's debut on this chilly Tuesday afternoon.
The boys from Baked have their own classic pie crust recipe they use, but I had some left over crust from my pot pie I made last week and chose to use that instead. Plus, I also like just making the crust in the food processor since cleanup and whatnot is a LOT easier. I also added a touch of cinnamon for a little kick.


Black Bottomed Bourbon Pecan Pie
Ingredients
Ingredients:
1 ball of pie dough chilled
2 cups pecan halves, toasted
3 large eggs
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons bourbon
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit 
Dust a work surface with a sprinkling of flour. Unwrap the ball of chilled dough and put it directly on the work surface, then roll out to about 12" in diameter and transfer to your pie dish crimping the edges. Make sure to stab the bottom with a fork repeatedly so your crust doesn't bubble too much! Allow pie to chill for a couple hours until firm.
From there, put a thin later of chocolate chips on the bottom of your pie crust. Don't pile these too thick because they melt and spread out. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until combined. Add the corn syrup, sugars, butter, salt, vanilla, and bourbon. Whisk again until combined. Stir in the chopped pecans and pour the filling over your chocolate chips.
Set in center of oven for about 45 minutes until crust is golden brown and a the filling is completely cooked.

Allow to cool for about an hour and enjoy!

Another delicious dish I had to chance to make - beet pickled deviled eggs. Delicious. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment