Passing Time

With 2011 ending and 2012 beginning, it definitely feels like time is flying by, and after all the holidays were done and over, there was only one thing left to celebrate - my 22nd birthday! The fact that I've become a year older took me by surprise, after traveling then returning only to work every day from then on, I was not prepared to have a big party. Luckily I was able to gather my family for one meal, and the one present I asked for was to make my own dinner and make it as extravagant as I wanted.
So what wound up happening was a medley of foods I'd always wanted to make but never had the time/money/ambition to do so, including my first time ever cooking live crab. 
This is the Crab Man and Steve Francisco Crabby Pants. Steve was the one who joined us for dinner.


So, the menu consisted of a couple hor d'oeuvres, in which Mr. Crabby Pants made a starring appearance! Photos to be posted later.), lamb tagine, saffron lentils and rice, and for "birthday cake" I made this chocolate malted ice cream pie and pumpkin cheesecake squares. For liquid refreshment I made Pear Sparkler, which is quickly becoming my go-to party punch.
The most dangerous and delicious punch on the planet!
Punch Recipe
I found the original recipe to make a bit much, especially since this is such a strong drink! This is my version, which makes a little less and has more lemon juice.
  • 1 bottle riesling
  • 1 bottle sparkling wine/champagne (I used a dry sparkling wine which complimented the sweetness of the pear much better I believe.)
  • 1 1/2 cup pear nectar or juice
  • 2 cups pear flavored vodka
  • 2 tbls triple sec
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • underripe sliced pears for garnish
Mix all ingredients together and cover tightly, then allow to chill in fridge for an hour and up to a night.

So now, a year older (and hopefully wiser!) I'm ready to face 2012 with a list of New Years resolutions and a million recipes begging to be made!

0 comments:

Post a Comment