Sour Cream & Chive Biscuts

This is the story of the chive plant that would not grow. One day, on a whim at the farmers market I used a few of my precious cash dollars to purchase a small but hardy looking chive plant. I eagerly ran home and stuffed it into a planter, imagining all the wonderful dishes I would be able to make with fresh, minced chives.
Little did I know, this summer of all summers, would not actually be a real summer. It would rain. Every. Single. Day. (mild exaggeration, although it has been like 78% of the time since summer officially started) My little chive plant is apparently unprepared for this kind of weather, so he just sat there, in the rain, in his planter, not growing. I watched him through the drips on the window, hoping one day he would find it within himself, but alas, my patience grew thin.
Then the day struck where I desired a warm, savory baked good. I searched high and low trying to think of something with the hodge podge of ingredients I have. Upon opening the fridge, I discovered a tub of sour cream, and I knew, my little chive plants days were over.
So all you little chive plants listen close, if you don't grow, you will be turned into sour cream and chive biscuits, because you need to have more than a 1/4 cup of yourself that's able to be chopped off, otherwise I'll chop off ALL of you. Bwaha!

So one thing led to another, and while I'm left without a chive plant, I did have some pretty tasty sour cream and chive biscuits. Here's the recipe, I hope you can enjoy as much as I did.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter - very cold
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup minced chives
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
In a stand mixer, put in all the dry ingredients, then add minced chives and incorporate by stirring lightly. Chop up your butter into small cubes and add to dry ingredients. Turn on your mixer to a medium to slow speed, allowing the butter to mix in until dough looks coarse. Once butter is mixed in, add the sour cream, egg, and milk. Dough should be moist but still have large chunks of butter. You want your butter to stay in this state because it will make your biscuits extra flaky. Lightly grease a baking pan and take about 1/4 cup of biscuit mixture and place it on the baking sheet giving it about 1 1/2" spacing. You may want to sprinkle some kosher salt on top to make it extra delicious, or throw on some grated Parmesan. Once you've used up all the mixture (should be about 9-10 biscuits) place in the oven and set the timer for about 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Take out and allow to cool for about 20 minutes then enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment